"Detain individuals who pose a national-security risk for any violations of criminal or immigration law."
    John Ashcroft, Attorney General, September 2002

Special Registration for Nationals and Citizens of Libya, Iran, Iraq, Sudan and Syria  
Updated 11/12/2002

Address Changes - AR11

(updated 8/13/2002)

Every alien (except certain diplomats), including permanent residents, children, students, H-1b holders, and "illegal aliens" is required to notify the INS of their address after they have been in the U.S. for 30 days, and notify the INS of each address change within 10 days.  If you have moved, you, and each member of your family who is not a citizen should fill out, sign and mail Form AR-11.  


The INS web site has a PDF form fillable on the web.  The address is on the form.   Our office may notify INS of address changes with respect to certain pending petitions or applications - but you still have to file form AR11.

Please check the INS to verify where the form must be mailed.  As of November 7, 2002, the form should be sent to: 

US Department of Justice
Immigration and Naturalization Service
Change of Address
425 I Street NW
PO Box 7134
London, KY 40742-7134

New nonimmigrant visa form for "risky" applicants

The State Department has a new form for required for all male applicants for nonimmigrant visas who are between age 16 and 45, as well as all other applicants if they have  Chinese, Cuban,  Iranian, Iraqi, Libyan, Russian, Somali, Sudanese, or Vietnamese  passports, or are  holding a travel document issued by any of those governments.   

Adobe copy of DS-157 

Canada/Mexico option ends

updated April 1, 2002
Although visa processing for 3d country nationals has resumed, recent changes in regulations make this option undesirable for almost everyone.  If an individual who changed status in the United States traveled to Canada or Mexico to apply for a new visa, and was turned down, they could still come back to the U.S. if they had been gone for less than 30 days - using their I-94 in place of a visa.  That regulation has changed - it is no longer available if the individual is refused a visa.  

We are therefore advising clients not to travel to Canada or Mexico for the convenience of obtaining a new visa.



updated November 19, 2001
The State Department has ordered that border posts in Canada and Mexico cease issuing visas to 3d country nationals not resident in the consular jurisdiction.  Appointments for future dates are being cancelled.  Do not plan on traveling to Canada or Mexico for a visa appointment without verifying that your case will be processed.

updated November 20, 2001
AILA has advised that U.S.Consul in Ciudad Juarez is NOT cancelling appointments. Additional reports are that only appointments for individuals subject to additional security clearances are being cancelled. The situation remains in flux - and we still advise verifying any future appointment before making travel plans

Visa delays for security clearances

- alert updated November 14, 2001.

Young men from most Moslem countries are subject to a special 20 day delay in visa issuance.  We believe the countries include Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Malaysia, Morocco, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen.

The State Department has not released the text of the classified instructions which require these procedures.  But special clearances are evidently required for men born in any of these countries who are between the ages of 18 and 45.


The American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) has issued the following travel warning:

September 25, 2001

Advisory on Nonimmigrants Flying Domestically

AILA has received several reports of nonimmigrants boarding domestic flights being questioned and asked for documentation. In at least two incidents, the INS officer doing the questioning told the individual that he is required to carry his passport, I-94 and I-797 with him at all times. AILA is aware of no such provision of law, and is raising this issue with INS. In the meantime, however, as a practical matter, attorneys might consider advising their clients of the possibility of such incidents at airports even if the flight does not leave the U.S.

 October 1, 2001

Note from our offices:   We have had several reports of people of "foreign appearance" being asked at airports to prove their right to be in the United States.  We therefore suggest that you carry your passport and I-94 (with I-797 extensions and changes of status) with you any time you are traveling.  We also suggest that you make a complete copy of all your documents - including every page of your passport - and keep the copies in a separate and safe place.  If you are employed legally in the United States, you should also carry a current employment letter and proof of your right to be employed (EAD, I-94 if appropriate, etc.).

If you have any experiences you would like to share with others, please email me.


Jay Solomon